Saturday, 27 July 2013

Turf Lounge - Summerlicious

I'm late on blog posting, considering that this is a Summerlicious post. The last little while was so busy, I had no time to tend to my blog, although blogging has become one of my favourite past time. There is so much that I have in mind for this blog, ideas to implement, suggestions to follow (to a certain degree, of course), and simply things to learn through research. I have to constantly remind myself that this is not a sprint, I'll get there, in time. Wise words, aren't they? If only I'm not a do as I say, not as I do type of person. ;)

During the second week of Summerlicious, I had a lovely little lunch with a few work friends at Turf Lounge. The interior was beautiful and for lack of a better word, loungey. I feel like there are some disconnects between the different decor elements. The marriage between the historical architecture and modern elements like the hanging televisions is not a happy one in my opinion, unfortunately.  

Turf Lounge interior


Our meal started with complimentary bread and butter, pretty standard. I didn't have any, I'm more of a bread and olive oil type of girl. As a group, we ordered all three possible appetizer options. My dining companions were excited by the Goat Cheese Puck Salad, with a generous portion of fried goats cheese sitting on a pile of greens. This reminds me of Guu Izakaya's Fried Brie, which is one of their most popular dishes. They polished their plates, so I'm going to go ahead and say it was good. I had the Tomato Consommé, it was tasty, and very filling for an appetizer. 

B & B to start



Goats Cheese Puck Salad
  mixed field greens, fried goats cheese, dried cherries, limoncello dressing


Serrano & Melon Salad shallots
cabrales cheese, hazelnut vinaigrette 


Tomato Consommé
garlic toast crostini, fennel infused crème fraîche




For the main course, everyone got the Brisket Sandwich, except for me (aversion to red meat, you know). The Brisket Sandwich was described to be decadent and delicious. I was nibbling on my friend's frites, they were yummy. I had the Creole Tomato & Pepper Crusted Salmon. By "Pepper Crusted", they meant Pepper Crusted, a crust made seemingly with all ground pepper. The pepper crust overpowered the fish enveloped within. But the fish was cooked quite well, not over done at all. The best part of this dish was the cucumber slaw on top, refreshing and serving as a gentle reminder that it is summer time.

Brisket Sandwich
demi baguette, angus brisket, smokey whiskey BBQ sauce, onions,house made pickle, turf frites 


Creole Tomato & Pepper Crusted Salmon
 smoked farro, wilted spinach, cucumber slaw


For desserts, we had the Chocolate Meringue with Fruit Compote, Coconut Rum Jasmine Rice Pudding and Golden Raisin Apple Cake and Almond Ice Cream. I somehow lost the photo for the apple cake. And I can't seem to even recall how it tasted. I think I might be getting old... Or just not being excited enough to make some memories. The Coconut Rum Jasmine Rice Pudding was different than most rice puddings I have had in the past. I think it could benefit from a splash more of milk, to increase the creaminess scale, and a touch of vanilla to compliment the coconut flavour. But what do I know about rice dishes? It's not like I'm Asian (I am, for the record). Now, the Chocolate Meringue with Fruit Compote was truly a looker, if it was a girl, it'd be the type that turns heads and breaks hearts. The taste matched the presentation, a great look with a personality to match. What more can you ask?

Chocolate Meringue with Fruit Compote 
a true beauty


Coconut Rum Jasmine Rice Pudding 
with Passion Fruit


This was a great three-course meal for only 20 bucks, I love Summerlicious! But again, good food is tasteless in the absence of good company. Am I right or am I right?


Until next time,

A

Likelihood of Returning* = 2/5

This is a predictor of how likely I will revisit this establishment in the future. My likelihood of returning is dependent upon various factors, such as my personal taste preference, my personal experience at the restaurant, my perception of the value provided by the restaurant, as well as other factors such as location (for example, on a TTC subway line), personal convenience, price and the preference of the friends whom I often dine with.


Turf Lounge on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...